Saturday, November 22, 2008

Do you like sentences?

Annie Dillard, in The Writing Life:
A well-known writer got collared by a university student who asked, "Do you think I could be a writer?"
"Well," the writer said, "I don't know ... do you like sentences?"
Like them? I love them.  One really good sentence a week is enough to keep me sitting through the conference calls. Here's Don DeLillo:  
But the basic work is built around the sentence. This is what I mean when I call myself a writer. There's a rhythm I hear that drives me through a sentence. And the words typed on the white page have a sculptural quality. They form odd correspondences. They match up not just through meaning but through sound and look.... I'm completely willing to let language press meaning upon me. Watching the way in which words match up, keeping the balance in a sentence -- these are sensuous pleasures. 
The sentences I wrote last week were load-bearing. They got the job done. Which is fine; it's what the world needs right now. 

No comments: