Tuesday, January 6, 2009

That reminds me of a story...

If a sign went up across from my house and it said "Top 10 Fabric Collages in the World," I wouldn't walk across the street to check it out. But yesterday I was stopped cold by a fabric collage. It was propped against the wall of a friend's new office space. For it to win a permanent spot, it needed to be something he could tell a story about. A New York connection would be nice... 

While other pieces were being discussed, I circled back to the fabric collage and emailed the artist's name to myself.  Later I looked up her web page, clicked on "biography" and ... SHAZAM!!! 

She grew up in Queens! 

She supported herself as a New York City waitress, cab driver and welder! 

She worked in the garment district--that must be why fabric is her medium! 

Stories can be told, New York stories!

Never underestimate the power of a great story, or even little inconsequential ones.  

No comments: