Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Never saw it coming

You can be going along just fine in this writing business, feeling good, words flowing, clicking through your to-do list. And then, just like that, it's gone. It's like your car quits on you in the fast lane and you get out, put your hands on your hips and just stare at it. What? Why? I never saw this coming...

That's how it was with me yesterday. About 3 o'clock I even thought, this is how every day should go. I want every day to be just like this. By 4 o'clock I was having avoidance issues with the keyboard. And when I decided I could write my way out of it, I was wrong. I knew something had happened, but what? This all seemed to start when...

Oh yeah. I realized I was getting really attached to this "wordpaths" name I made up. And I could see it becoming pretty much a brand. And it dawned on me that just because it had been available on Blogger, that didn't mean it was available as a URL on the Web. Which is not a problem now, but could be later. I checked it out, and sure enough.

So I started thinking about a new name, and that's when the sky clouded over and the owls started hooting. I don't want a new name; I want the name I have. This morning I woke up thinking of Phil Knight, in the early days of Nike, when they realized they needed some kind of logo to put on the sides of these shoes they were making. He wanted the Adidas stripes, but the reason they were the Adidas stripes was that Adidas already had them. Nothing would satisfy him. He turned down one design after another. His people told him he was going to have to move on, that maybe for the first time in his life, he could not have what he wanted. Eventually they brought him the swoosh, designed by a student at Portland State University. It's not like that was a winning design; it was just the moment that Knight gave up on what he wanted and took what he had. They paid her $35 and the swoosh was off and running. 

Or what about Steve Jobs, who stormed out of the office one day exclaiming, "If no one thinks of a better name by tomorrow, it's going to be Apple."

Maybe I'll feel better, having written about it. Maybe I can get back in the fast lane. But let this be a warning: don't get attached to wordpaths. It's going to change. Anybody out there with a half-decent suggestion, there might be $35 in it for you.  

No comments: