Saturday, December 6, 2008

We've all been there...

Speaking of the hugely powerful force...

I'm on this conference call where about six of us are talking CEO-level communication strategy when one of the participants says, "It's like when you're on Facebook and you get this message, 'would you like to talk to other overweight 47-year-olds?'..." And one of the clients starts laughing so genuinely that no one tries to talk over it. We wait, and the laughter goes on longer than one might expect. Finally she catches her breath and says, "I'm sorry. It's just so funny ... because we've all been there."

We've all been there? 

I suddenly get a picture of my grandmother, a lioness who lived through parts of three centuries and has a library named after her. Technology began to outpace her at a point where my brother was writing letters and faxing them to my parents. As my father was reading one of these letters aloud at the kitchen table, my grandmother asked, "Where did this come from?" My mother answered, "Mike faxed it to us."

"He what?" my grandmother said. 

That was the tipping point for this great woman. My mom and dad didn't try to explain it to her. 

What's it going to be for us? Where do we fall hopelessly behind? When someone says "we've all been there," and you haven't, exactly...  

Facebook, eh.

    

No comments: